Week 4 Discussion
Just as quickly as new technology is developed, hackers find new ways to disrupt operations. As a result, security is an ongoing endeavor in all organizations. Strategic planning can help organizations be prepared to address new daily threats to information security. Moreover, many of today’s organizations are adopting virtualization as a way to reduce their footprint in hardware costs and to improve their backup system capabilities at the client and server levels. At the same time, virtualization poses security risks that organizations need to consider as part of their strategic planning process.
Go to to locate and integrate at least two quality, academic resources (in addition to your textbook) on the role of strategic planning in mitigating information security threats, including those associated with virtualization. You may also use government websites, such as from the National Institute of Standards and Technology.
As you write this post, keep in mind your current organization’s or a previous organization’s strategic planning for information security, its infrastructure, and its training.
Please respond to the following in a post of at least 200 words:
- Justify the importance of strategic planning to an organization’s information security.
- Identify and describe the topics to be included in strategic planning for information security.
- Specifically describe the security threats associated with virtualization.
- Explain how strategic planning can help to mitigate the security threats associated with virtualization.
- Provide full citations and references, formatted according to Strayer Writing Standards.
- For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
In 60 to 75 words, please respond to at least one other post. Choose to respond to those who have few or no responses.
Note: You will find the information from this post and the feedback you receive on it useful as you work on your Virtualization assignment due this week.