DIRECTIONS: As a part of your movie critique you are to address and answer the following questions. You might want to make notes while watching the movie.
- Give the title and a summary of what the movie was about. Discuss your interest in selecting this particular movie.
- Critique what you liked and/or did not like about the movie. Explain your thoughts. What overall impression did you leave the experience with?
- Discuss the role of the character with a disability. How significant was the character in this movie? What stood out to you about this character?
- Explain whether or not the “existence” of disability was positively or negatively portrayed within the movie. How do movies and media affect our perceptions of disability, positively or negatively from what you have observed?
- Discuss the possible stereotypes or expectations that may have been promoted about people with disabilities, even if it was not intentional.
- What, if anything was “eye-opening” about this movie in relation to your perception or thought about disability? Was there something that you observed that caused you to question something further?
Summary of Movie
Impression and Critique of the Movie
The character with a Disability
Portrayal and Perceptions of Disability
Something “Eye Opening” about the Movie
List of the Possible Movies
David and Monica
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
My Left Foot
The Kings Speech
The Miracle Worker
The scent of the Women
Whats Eating Gilbert Grape
I am Sam
The Elephant Man
See No Evil, Hear No Evil